Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)
The Health Insurance Marketplace open enrollment for the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is thorough . Note: You need to enroll by to have coverage start on .
Please contact the Marketplace at 1-800-318-2596 or visit healthcare.gov for further questions.
HealthConnect, a United Way of Dane County program, is also available to Dane County residents. Depending on your income level, the program could cover the cost of your premium if you choose a Silver Level plan. Call 211 for more information.
You can also call 211 for other resources available in Dane County.
About the Health Insurance Marketplace
The Health Insurance Marketplace is designed to make buying health coverage easier and more affordable. The Marketplace allows you to:
- Compare health insurance plans.
- Get answers to questions about your health care.
- Find out if you are eligible for tax credits for private insurance or health programs like the Children’ Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- Enroll in a health insurance plan that meets your needs.
- Renew your coverage.
Covering Wisconsin has healthcare Navigators available to provide free in-person help to enroll in health insurance plans. There are many resources available on their website www.coveringwi.org. New this year, the GetCovered Connector, where you can find local help applying to the Federal Marketplace: www.coveringwi.org/enroll.
Coverage Options outside Open Enrollment
Outside the Open Enrollment period, certain life changing events may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period in the Marketplace.
- Special Enrollment Periods for complex issues.
- Qualifying life events (such as getting married, having a baby, or moving outside of your insurer’s coverage area.)
- BadgerCare (Medicaid and CHIP) enrollment continues year round.
Let an Insurance Agent Help You Transition from BadgerCare+ to the Marketplace. Many insurance agents are trained and prepared to help people apply for health insurance in the Marketplace because they are no longer eligible for BadgerCare+. Find an agent at the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website or dial 211.
Learn more about getting coverage outside of Open Enrollment.